Sunday, November 16, 2008

My Soccer Saturday


Saturday was quite the day with 2 big games on my schedule.

Game 1: BYU vs USC

I got the opportunity to be the senior assistant referee (AR1) on the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament at BYU.  Defending champs USC, along with their National Team player, Amy Rodriguez took it to BYU the first half, as BYU looked and played a little scared, and were down 1-0 at the half.  USC scored from an amazing diving header on my end of the field.  Second half BYU was a completely different team, and took it to USC.  Their tying goal came down to my call from the line, whether or not the ball crossed the goal line or not, and good thing I was in perfect position right on the end line.  It was such and exciting game!  I even got "booed" late in the second half by 1,691 fans for calling a BYU player offside.  It was quite the experience, not to mention funny... AND a good call by me, ha ha.  Unfortunately for BYU, they couldn't put one in the net in either overtime period, and ended up losing in a penalty shootout 4-2.  What a great match!

Game 2: Real Salt Lake vs. New York Red Bulls in the Western Conference Finals

After the BYU game, I headed to the RSL game to meet Scuba Steve and his squad.  Despite fighting the traffic and crowds getting into the new Rio Tinto Stadium, the game itself was a lot of fun to watch.  Only in soccer do fans throw streamers at the players and onto the field, and a few times even smoke bombs.  RSL destroyed the Red Bulls on the field, but failed to convert any of their opportunities into a goal, and ended up losing 1-0.  The better team lost.

Me & Riley

2 comments:

Jeanette said...

Wow, how exciting to get booed by 1,600 people LOL Glad you had a good time!

Melissa said...

What happened to Dennis?