Saturday, October 11, 2008

My Overnighter

Boise State was a blast!!!  For the most part anyway.  My flight wasn't too early, my rental car was awesome, and my hotel room/suite was the best ever (Marriott Towne Suites).  The only battle I had, was the weather.  The first half, it rained, slowly turning into sleet by halftime, and BSU up 1-0.  After coming out of the locker room (men's bathroom) when halftime was over, it had all turned to snow and I was in for a long second half.  BSU got a quick goal, so the score was 2-0 over LA Tech.  The snow, however, never let up and the snowflakes were almost the same size in diameter as a baseball.  I have never seen snowflakes that big.  With the snow piling up under my feet (I brought my turfs instead of cleats), I had to be careful when I cut to change direction.  I had no traction at all, and not only did I feel like Fred Flintstone when I had to sprint, but I would get pelted either in the eyeball (it stung), or the ear with snow.  While waiting for subs to come on to the field, snow just piled on my head and nose, giving me the biggest brain freeze ever.  The game itself was pretty hilarious as none of the players could stay on their feet, and they looked like dogs on ice skates.  I was laughing.  The worst part of the game was the last 10 minutes when LA Tech miraculously scored 2 goals to tie it up.  I was not laughing anymore.  That meant overtime!  I was already freezing, I couldn't feel my fingers, and it was getting difficult to even blow my whistle.  Luckily, both coaches opted to forgo OT as they felt it was "unsafe" as the entire field was covered in snow, and lines were almost impossible to see.  Fine by me!  The game ended in a 2-2 tie, 16 total fouls called (dang), and no cards.  I headed back to the hotel for a 20 minute hot shower, ordered takeout from The Cheesecake Factory, and had a great night's sleep.  This NISOA season has been the most fun ever!  Next up... Western Wyoming.

BSU Field right after the game  

1 comment:

Jeanette said...

Crazy!

Glad they skipped the OT and let everyone go home and get warm.

I have a feeling that we are in for a long and nasty winter. We have been spoiled by these whimpy winters for so long that it is going to be a rude awakening to have a real winter for a change.