Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Medals and PR's

Since AJ did so well at the Top Of Utah 5K, I immediately looked online for another local 5K. I came across the Ribbon Run, which was my FIRST 5K with Jaycson 6 years ago. It was cheap, every finisher received a medal, it was in October, and of course it was for a good cause... keeping kids off drugs. It didn't take long to see why it was so cheap. NO chip timing, and NO prizes for placing in your age division. That's not how it was 6 years ago. We had chip timing, I placed first, and Jaycson placed second. Big disappointment...

Well... the day wasn't off to a great start. Miscommunication between Tony and myself led to a frantic scramble to get AJ there on time. I've learned my lesson, and from now on will just plan on taking care of AJ on race day. They managed to get there in time, with barely any time to warm up. AJ and I headed over to the start line, in great position so we don't get stuck behind anyone. Of course people are very inconsiderate, and a group camped out right in front of us, squeezing us back behind them. I wasn't too happy. THEN... I sort of got in a fight before the race started. If you look in the picture below, the major TOOL that was fighting with me is the guy in the blue adidas warmup just over my right shoulder.



Here's what happened. After being cut off by that group (the guy in the yellow jacket), that guy in the blue warmup ALSO weaseled his way right in front of AJ. I didn't say a word, but often it's expressed all over my face. I'm sure I shot him a dirty look (ok, I KNOW I did... he made me mad), and the guy freaked out, even calling me out by name. I have no idea who this guy is, but apparently I'm popular. If anyone knows me, I'm not going to back down to anyone. I gave it right back to him, saying "Dude... you just cut off a little kid." We shared a few more words, and NO, I didn't curse him out, ha ha. No matter, cause the race was about to start, and AJ and I were going to leave him in the dust... and... we did.



AJ did great, and my one regret with his training was that I hadn't introduced him to hill training just yet. The first 1/4 mile of the race was on a slight incline, and AJ was quick to comment on it. I AM happy, however, that I did track work with him a couple of weeks ago. I made him alternate easy 400's and fast 400's for a total of 8. I think that made him mentally tougher, because they are HARD, and he was pushing it hard in this race. With all the hard work AJ put in, he was able to finish the 5K in 24:27. Of course the time isn't official, because it wasn't chip timed, but I crossed at 24:23, and he was just seconds behind me. That is roughly a 7:52 minute mile. Pretty dang good for a 7 year-old. I'm so sad that winter is approaching and there aren't many more races I can do with him. I want to take him to a serious race, where he can collect some hardware. I'm hoping we can squeeze another race in before it's full blown winter.



Keep your eye on this kid. He's gonna make headlines when he gets a little older. I'm glad I can share these little things with my nephew. You make me proud buddy.

1 comment:

The Strawn Family said...

You are such a good aunt! and it makes me sad because I am not as cool as you ;)