Thursday, October 29, 2009

Just... A Couple Of Road Trips

Ok, so a bit of air AND road trips. First trip... University of Wyoming vs. San Diego State.


After a quick-ish flight into Denver, it took over an hour just to get my rental car, which meant very little exploring time on my drive to Laramie, WY. I lucked out with decent weather and no overtime. After a scoreless first half, SDSU put a goal away early in the second half, and added an insurance goal with just minutes remaining. The game was pretty easy, and I got out of there quick to catch my return flight to SLC. I felt like all I did was rush from place to place this trip.


Next up... New Mexico State vs. Hawaii. I had to fly into El Paso, TX the night before. That was a long trip as I had to change planes in Phoenix. This, I believe, was my first trip to Texas. Too bad I had to spend it alone. I checked into my hotel, worked out in the gym for about a half hour, and had the intent to check out the town, but just decided to get food and some snacks instead, and order pay per view in my room.

The next morning, I made the drive to Las Cruces, NM for the game. NMSU has the WORST fans I have ever had to listen to. Some old guy was heckling me from the very beginning, and since they played in the football stadium, voices carried. A couple of time, when he said something ridiculous, I made subtle gestures up to him, like brushing my shoulders to say his words don't bother me. He then proceeded to threaten me. I laughed, and kept on ignoring him. Again, we had a scoreless first half, and then NMSU scored with about 8 minutes left. Hawaii, I thought, was the better team, and definitely had more class, and were attacking the Wyoming goal when an idiot defender decided to push the Hawaii attacker in the back just outside the 18. Of course, they didn't like my call, but it was the correct call and Hawaii ended up scoring on the free kick to tie up the game with just a few minutes remaining.

OVERTIME! I was once again harassed by the old guy in the stands as regulation ended. He said "you stink"... I sniffed my armpits, and looked up at him and shook my head, raising my hands as if to say "no I don't", and I brushed him off again. About 7 minutes into the first overtime, I had to call a penalty kick against Hawaii, and that's how New Mexico won. Too bad for Hawaii. The better team doesn't always win.


On the way back to El Paso to catch my flight, I was lucky enough to hit the Nike outlet. The trip wasn't a total wash. :) It was a long trip back home, and Monday morning came way too quickly. My tough travel week was done, and now I only have one more match left of the season. I travel to the bay area on Saturday, November 7th to ref at St. Mary's. I can't wait to be done.

No comments: