Monday, August 24, 2009

My Nature Filled Weekend

What... a weekend. My good friend Katie convinced me to run a half marathon up in Ashton, Idaho where she now lives. I... of course, thought it sounded like fun... up until the 10th mile, anyway. I drove up on a Friday afternoon, and we checked out the course and did a little bit of site-seeing. Afterwards, I made a special "pot sticker" dinner, and spent the rest of the night catching up.

The race went pretty well, the first 3 miles was on a trail, which I'm sure slowed me down a bit when I got caught up behind slow people. At mile 2, I decided it was time to keep track of my "kills" of the female variety. I ended the race at a +19. It was also great to have Steve, Katie, and the kids, Abi & Evan (Ed) to cheer me on along the way, and they even made a clever little sign. Of all the nights, the night before, the smoke detectors decided to go off on three separate occasions, waking up the entire house.

The first 8 miles were a piece of cake, and around mile 10, I was starting to wish it was over. I kept going strong, and finished with a 1:43:14 time and third in my division. It's amazing how not playing soccer has affected my speed. All in all, I'm pretty proud of my accomplishments this year. Each race I have entered, I have at least placed in the top 10 in my division. I'm hoping to keep that streak going.

After the race and the medal ceremony, we packed in as much as we could before I had to leave the next day. Check out my Mesa Falls Adventures in my newest movie.


Thanks again Katie and Steve for an awesome weekend. No more letting 4 years go by before our next adventure!

1 comment:

Katie said...

WOW! I love the video! (I knew it would be great!) I watched it and thought it looked amazing, who are these people, then I remembered it was US...thanks for making me look good. I'm SO glad you came, it was great to catch up and be inspired by your athletic prowess. I'm serious!