Sunday, September 30, 2012

2 Years Missing and No Whipped Cream

It's hard to believe I haven't updated my blog for two whole years.  I guess that's what happens when you get back into coaching.  I'm now onto my third year with a third club.  Two years ago, I was with Avalanche, then gave Infinity a try, but that just wasn't a fit for me.  This year I started my own club.  FC Bayern Utah.  It's been a lot of hard work that no one will ever fully know.  It's a constant roller coaster.  The highs are high, the lows pretty much make you want to slit your wrists, and there doesn't seem to be much in between, which reminds me of a book (The Talent Code) I've been in the middle of for six months now.  In this book is a metaphor from football coach Tom Martinez.  He says... "The way I look at it, everybody's life is a bowl of whipped cream and shit, and my job is to even things out.  If a kid's got a lot of shit in his life, I'm going to stir in some whipped cream.  If a kid's life is pure whipped cream, then I'm going to stir in some shit."  Well... I could definitely use some whipped cream.  September has been rough.  Too many games to coach, too many teams to train, too many parents with unrealistic expectations.  How do I take everything on my shoulders and still remain sane?  Pray for whipped cream is all I've got.

2 comments:

Brie Wheelwright said...

You're an amazing coach so I'm sorry you're having a rough time. If you put up with us, you can do it again! Or run away to Wisconsin for a vacation :)

Jeanette said...

Glad to see you :)