Monday, July 6, 2009

My Favorite Holiday

My favorite holiday has always been the 4th of July.  When I was younger, the whole family would always gather at my grandparents' house, which was just across the street from where I grew up.  We would all go to the Hyrum parade, and hang out at Grandma's afterward for a BBQ.  Grandpa used to put up their volleyball net and we would play all afternoon until the annual water fight would break out.  On the way home from the Brigham City fireworks, Tony and I both were telling Melissa about the same 4th of July memory, when we watched the movie "Watcher In The Woods".  That memory had always stood out to me, I'm not sure why, and thought it was funny when Tony brought it up as well.  

Hyrum Parade 1974

As we've been getting older, we've starting making our own traditions, but keeping the important ones intact.  Tony and I now run the Freedom Run 15K every year before the parade, which starts at the hydro plant up Blacksmith Fork Canyon, and goes all the way down the the square (Lincoln Elementary) in Hyrum.  This year I was a bit devastated.  Because of my injuries, I was unable to run, so in order to still be a part of the tradition, I biked it while Tony ran.  To make things more memorable, AJ and Emily Ty biked it with me.  The kids did great, even though at times they were painfully slow, but it was a joy to have their company.  I hope this is a memory they will always carry with them.

Things aren't quite what they used to be, as family has dwindled off and gone their separate ways, but no matter what, I will always carry those memories with me, and vow to continue to make many many more.  I'm thankful for those who fought for our country and for our freedom.  I'm thankful for my siblings and the bond we have, no matter how strange it can be... we keep each other sane.


3 comments:

Melissa said...

Sly, you are AMAZING! Thanks for all the good times!

Jeanette said...

This makes me so sad, seeing your pictures, and watching your video. I wish so much I could have been there =0(

Thanks for the videos you make, I always enjoy watching them.

Sonja Larsen said...

I'm impressed with you Sly, what determination you have! Way to go. Sonja